Before we begin, we should recognize that optimum has different meanings to car parking users, parking operators, city planners, developers and investors. The individual characteristics of an optimum solution, therefore, should be beneficial or at least neutral for all stakeholders.
Following are major characteristics of optimum urban car parking solutions:
- Close to popular destinations – for convenience and high utilization
- Sufficient number of spaces – to satisfy demand with minimal excess capacity
- High-density parking – minimal land area per parking space
- Flexible application – to easily adjust capacity and fit in greatest variety of areas
- Safe and secure – eliminate risks for drivers and opportunities for criminals
- Sustainable – reduces environmental and societal impact to the minimum
- Positive experience – for car parking users and all other stakeholders
- Ease of access
Optimum urban car parking solutions require thinking beyond the application and modification of conventional parking structures. Very large, centrally located car parks may be great solutions in certain locations and may be poor solutions in other locations. Various technologies make underground parking easier, more attractive and less costly than conventional solutions.
As various governmental, community and activist groups try to impose a broad range of goals and criteria on the urban landscapes of the future, urban car parking solutions become more difficult to achieve. Contact us to learn how to compare urban car parking solutions to define the optimum for your application.
Post a Comment